Thursday, May 29, 2014

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
5 pounds of roman tomatoes---cut into 4 pieces
1 cup of fresh basil leaves
1 large onion--chopped
1 head of garlic--peeled and minced
1/2 Cup of strawberry jam ( I used this instead of sugar)
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
3 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon pepper (I used white pepper)
3 Tablespoon chicken powder ( I used chicken powder because I didn't have any chicken stock)
2 teaspoon salt
3 bay leaves
10 CUPS of water *** if you like your sauce thicker than use less water***

In a large pot I threw in all my ingredients and cooked it for about 2 hours on medium low...I covered the pot and once everything was cooked down...I took out my bay leaves and once it was cooled down I used my hand held blender and blended it up until it was smooth and creamy.

*** I didn't blanch the tomatoes or peeled the skin off...I blended it with skin and all ;)


season to taste ....my kids like their spaghetti sauce a little sweet so I didn't add much salt...plus if you are using chicken stock...it will be a little more salty.


Once I cook my spaghetti sauce in with my ground meat...I usually add more dried basil/parsley or oregano ...or italian seasoning depending on what I am making...meat sauce or lasagnas.   I used this tomato sauce on my pizza or as a dip for the mozzarella stick also.


No comments:

Post a Comment