Saturday, May 31, 2014

Bun Rieu

Everytime  we go to Houston, Texas ...we alway try to stop at this Restaurant called Thien Thanh so that I can have my Bun Rieu Oc...I love bun rieu but MISTER isnt a huge fan of bun rieu because of the man thom (shrimp paste). So I usually make it at home without it and just add it to my individual bowl.  I find that bun rieu is the easiest and one of those quick soup to make that is filled with tons of flavor. I love to eat mines with lots of tofu and VEGGIES (bean sprout, rau mong, lots of basil, cilantro and  mint leaves) 

When the weather is nippy and gloomy outside I usually wipe up a pot. 





INGREDIENTS: 



1 gallon  of pork or chicken stock ( I usually use the baby pork ribs so that I can have some meat in there besides the rieu and tofu) 
1 can of 14 oz of crab meat paste in spices ( we like Lee Brand)
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup of crab meat, either fresh or canned/frozen drained
1 lb of ground pork
1 TBS of fish sauce
1 TBS of sugar
1 large onion--I used a whole one and just throw in the broth (washed and peeled)  1 tsp of ground pepper
1 TBS of of fine shrimp paste..
man thom...very salty so be careful 
tomato paste...if u want the red color ...

1/4 C of dried shrimp (soaked in warm water)---optional...I dont add the dry shrimp cuz hubby doesnt like the smell 
8 cloves minced garlic 
4 large ripe tomatoes (quartered)
10 medium sized fried tofu (halved)
1 bunch of green onion--chopped
1 bunch of cilantro...or other asian herbs...I also used mint..and lettuce, bean sprout, rau muong 

1 packet of vermicelli noodles



(I used a food processor to make my crab mixture) 

Cook the vermicelli noodles and set aside. 

At the same time add pork or chicken stock into large pot and bring to boil.

In the meantime, make the crab mixture. Combine ground pork, crab, can of crab meat in spices, shallots, fine shrimp paste, fish sauce, dice garlic,  pepper, and sugar. Add the beaten eggs and mix well. I actually put it all in a food processor and pulse it a few times ...so it can mix and chopped up.  

When the stock comes to a boil, slowly add this crab mixture into stock. Now add the  quartered TOMATOES  and tofu and bring to boil again. Finally, season stock with additional salt or fish sauce. Mix in tomato paste if you  want more of the red color

Add vermicilli noodles to bowl and ladle on the bun rieu.

Garnish with sliced green onion and chopped cilantro...bean sprout..lettuce, mint, and rau muong.


ENJOY!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment