Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Banh Xeo (Asian Crepe)



I LOVE a CRUNCHY asian crepe (Banh Xeo) ...I can honestly say that I can eat this once a week if  my family would allow me to ;)

Its so tasty and simple to whip up.  Today I am making a new recipe....not from a BAG mix. Even when I am using a bag mix...I usually add some rice flour to the mix...so I am trying this recipe without the already prepared BAG MIX that they sale at the asian market.

Ingredients: 
1 1/2 cup RICE flour
1/2 cup CORNSTARCH
3 cup water
1 tablespoon ground turmeric powder
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup thinly sliced GREEN ONION (just the green part)

***cooking oil---I used PAM
FILLING: 
8 oz boneless pork shoulder--cut very thinly
1 small onion--thinly sliced
1 lb shrimp (peeled and deveined---I like to use the small shrimp)
3 cup bean sprouts
***Pork Patty ---thinly sliced--optional

SERVED WITH:
***Fish Sauce --dipping
Lettuce
Sliced Cucumber
Cilantro
Mint
Basil


DIRECTION: 

CREPE BATTER: 
In a large bowl mix in your rice flour, corn starch, turmeric, coconut milk, water, salt and sliced green onion. MIX well.  Refrigerated the batter for at least 2 hrs.

PORK:
In a pot filled with water and 1 tablespoon salt I would boiled my pork shoulder for about 15-20 minutes . I usually season it with a little char sui powder (red package) or just some salt and pepper.  Once its cook ...I thinly sliced them. I don't season them to much because I usually eat the crepe with a fish dipping sauce.

SHRIMP: 
In a pan with some olive oil...I saute the peeled and deveined shrimp with just a little salt and pepper. Saute until it a pink color...you don't want to over COOK the shrimp because you will be cooking it again when you are making the crepe.

***what you put in this crepe is all up to you....some people make it strictly vegetarian and use all mushroom and bean sprout other  use JUST seafood (shrimp and squids). STRICTLY up to what your family likes ****


CREPE: 
In a 10in nonstick skillet..lightly grease the skillet ( I use PAM) heat until skillet is hot add in your a few pieces of the WHITE ONION ...wait about 30 seconds then ladle in 1/4 cup of batter. Lifting the pan and swirl so that all the batter cover the entire pan...TURN HEAT TO MEDIUM LOW and cover with a lid. After about 2 minutes...uncover and add in your cook pork sliced, shrimp and BEAN SPROUT on one-half of the crepe. Then cover again and cook for about another 5 minutes. Cooking it slowly on medium heat will give the crepe that crispy bottom. ***Making sure to wipe down your LID because the lid can cause some condensation and have water coming into your crepe which will make the crepe soggy. MAKE sure your lid is DRY when you are covering the crepe....I usually have to wipe down every time I lift up the lid.  

Once you see the edge of the CREPE pull away from the side of the pan and the edge looks like a golden brown color...and looks crispy.....then your crepe is ready.  Using a RUBBER spatula gently lift the EMPTY half of the crepe  and fold over the side with the FILLING.  Next gently transfer the cook crepe onto a place and serve IMMEDIATELY with lettuce, herbs and fish dipping sauce. Crepe is good when it is HOT.

**Every time you make a new crepe...remember to stir the batter WELL before each USE **


** some people prefer to just pour the fish sauce over the crepe and lettuce/herbs other prefer to cut up the crepe and put it on top of the lettuce long with the the herbs and DIP into the fish sauce...strictly personal preferences.

ENJOY!!!

Batter --Yellow from turmeric powder
Thinly sliced green onion



Sliced Pork 
Shrimp
Pork Patty (can get at your local asian market) 
Sliced Onion 
Pam 


No comments:

Post a Comment