Monday, March 9, 2015

Banh Xeo


Banh Xeo is one food that my WHOLE family loves and we can eat it every week.  It's also one of the food that I can get the veggies into their food and they will eat it.
I have so many different BANH XEO recipe that its so easy for me to wipe up a batch at  the spur of the moment...I don't need one of those PRE-PACKAGE mix from the asian market.


Today I will share with you one of the MANY  recipe that I have.

Ingredients: 

CREPE BATTER
2 cup RICE FLOUR
1/2 cup self rising flour
3 cup WATER
1 cup Coconut Milk
2 TBS turmeric
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup thinly sliced scallion--the green part only

FILLING:
8 oz boneless lean pork shoulder--cut thinly (I usually boiled mines up first)
1 small yellow onion--thinly sliced
2 cup bean sprout
1 cup medium shrimp--peel and deveined ( I blanch mines for about 5 minutes)
***optional: thinly sliced cabbage, different variety of mushroom if you want to make it vegetarian

Serve With:
romaine lettuce
mint
cilantro
basil
thinly sliced cucumber

Fish SAUCE 




DIRECTION: 
To make the CREPE BATTER:
In a large bowl stir together the rice flour, self rising flour, coconut milk, water, turmeric, salt and sliced green scallion. Mix really well to get all the clumps out.
Let the batter sit for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. You can make the batter 24 hours in advance...just covered and put in the refrigerator but don't add the scallion until you area ready to cook.
*** I didn't have time to put in refrigerator for 30 minutes so I added a few ice cubed to my batter ***

In a large NONSTICK skillet heat 1 teaspoon of oil ( I usually brush the oil onto the skillet so that it coats evenly) over MEDIUM heat. Once the oil is hot add the white onion and sliced pork. About 30 seconds pour in 1/2 cup of batter and swirl the pan so that it covered the whole SKILLET. Cover for 1 minute then open and add your shrimp and bean sprouts (veggies) to one side of the crepe...then cover again. Cook for about 2 minutes...when you see the edge start to crisp and turn brown pulling away from the skillet. Depending on how thick your crepe is...this process might take a little longer. You can check by lifting the edge with a spatula to see if it is brown and crispy.

Using your spatula gently FOLD over the crepe in half.   Wait for another 30 seconds then plate.
Serve the crepe with lettuce, cilantro, mint and cucumber. You can pour the fish sauce over or like me...just dip the crepe piece by piece rolled into the lettuce and veggies  into the fish sauce.

**The KEY is to cook it on medium ...nice and SLOW...you can't rush the cooking process by turning up the heat...it will burn the crepe.

ENJOY!!!

                         The CREPE BATTER 

I had thinly sliced cabbage, mushroom, bean sprout, thinly sliced yellow onion, thinly sliced pork patty (cha lua), thinly sliced pork shoulder, and shrimp. 




Cilantro, cucumber, basil, and romaine lettuce 

No comments:

Post a Comment