Sunday, June 14, 2015

Chicken Satay

We were in Texas during the Easter Holiday and we stopped by the Thai Restaurant and I ordered some Chicken Satay...the flavor was just not there...I wanted it more curry and coconut-ty (is that a word) but it tasted like just regular grilled chicken.  This past week my local grocery store had boneless and skinless chicken breast on sale so I bought like 10 lbs. I was looking through some cookbooks and online recipe and I couldn't find one that I really liked so I ended up mixing up a few different ones to get what I wanted ...Hope you guys like it....Its very curry and has a coconut taste that I like.


INGREDIENTS: 
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 6 oz each pieces) cut into 1-2inch cubes

MARINATE:
2 tablespoon fish sauce
3 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon curry
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 cloves garlic--minced
1/2 teaspoon white ground pepper (if you don't have white you can use black)
2 inch piece of FRESH ginger--graded and MINCED very finely



PEANUT SAUCE:
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 small onion--finely chopped
2 cloves garlic--minced
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder or any type of "hot sauce" you prefer
**If you don't have chunky peanut butter you can also used some crushed peanut and sprinkle on top of your sauce***




DIRECTION: 
Put the chicken cubes in a very shallow dish. Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl and pour over chicken cube. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours (I let mines over night).


Remember to soak your bamboo skewers...I used 15 bamboo skewers because I only threaded the chicken half way up the skewers. You can probably use 12 skewers.

Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers. Once you are done threading the 12 skewers, transfer the skewers to a GREASE grill pan (if you can grill it outdoors it would taste 10x better).  Each skewers took me about 20  minutes to cook...remember to turn the skewers after 7-9 minutes on each sides. Depending on the grill pan that you are using or if you are grilling these skewers outdoors. You always want your chicken to be FULLY COOKED. Also cooking time depending on how thick the chicken cubes are and how many pieces you have on each skewers.


Meanwhile, to make the peanut sauce, heat the oil in a SAUCEPAN on medium low heat. Add the onion and garlic until fragrant...stirring frequently. Once the onion and garlic are soft add in the peanut butter, water, and chile. If you find that its too thick...thin it out with some more water.  Let it simmer on low for about 3-5 minutes (CONTINUE to STIR). Serve the chicken skewers immediately with the warm sauce.



ENJOY!!!









****Once I bought these thinly sliced chicken breast that I didn't cube them...I just used the WHOLE strips of chicken breast and thread that into the skewers...that is fine too...

No comments:

Post a Comment