Thursday, April 23, 2015

Bo Kho

Everytime my sister in law makes Bo Kho...I always get a container to go...I love BO KHO. Her BO KHO taste more curry. I didn't use any curry in this recipe.


INGREDIENTS: 
5 lb of CHUCK ROAST --cut into 2 in cube (I cut the slices bigger because chuck roast render alot of fat and so the pieces shrink down alot)

For the BROTH: 
3 stalk lemongrass--cut into 5inch pieces (I ended up with like 10 small pieces)
6 pieces of ginger--about 2 inch pieces (cut in half)
1 small onion--peeled
4 star anise
4 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
1 large rock sugar


3 large peeled carrot cut into 2 inch pieces
6 medium peeled potato cut into 2 inch pieces




MARINATE: 
2 TBS minced shallot
2 TBS minced garlic
2 stalk lemongrass--finely chopped
2 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp chili flakes
1 TBS sesame oil
2 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS salt
2 TBS white SUGAR
1/2 cup cooking wine
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 TBS hoisin sauce
1 bag of the BO KHO mix

In a large bowl with a lid--mix all the marinate together. Pour in the cut meat and marinate for at least 2hrs in refrigerator ....I marinated overnight in refrigerator.



GARNISH: 
1 onion thinly sliced 
cilantro 
chili 
bread 



DIRECTION:
In a large POT...pour in some olive oil and POUR in the WHOLE BOWL of marinate meat with juice and ALL....cook the meat up until it gets a nice crust then pour in 6 cups of beef broth or chicken stock and another 8 cups of water. I pour enough to cover my meat and some because you will be cooking the meat for at least 3 hours over  medium heat.
Now throw in the onion, lemongrass, star anise, ginger, bay leaf, rock sugar and cinnamon stick...and let it cook for 3 hours.

AFTER the 3 hours...throw in the cut carrot and potato and cook for another 30 minutes then turn off heat.
Ladle in a bowl and garnish with sliced onion and cilantro. I like mines spicy so I usually add in some Srirache.

SEASON according to taste...if you find that it isnt salty enough...add some fish sauce or salt.


I love to dip french bread with mines ...they do have some people that likes to eat it with vermicelli noodles.



The package of seasoning that I used to marinate the meat overnight.


Lemongrass that I cut to put into the broth. 

I added 1 TBS to the broth after I cooked it for about 3hrs ...right before I added the potato and carrots. 







No comments:

Post a Comment