Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Shrimp Fried Rice

This weel my kids have been on a FRIED RICE kick for their lunch...I guess its easier for them to have everything in one container and rice seems to fill them up longer.  So this week I am making all kinds of fried rice with different protein and vegetables.

SHRIMP FRIED RICE

INGREDIENTS: 
6 cups day old rice (I cooked this batch in chicken stock instead of plain water)
1 lb shrimp peel, deveined /and cut into 1in pieces
1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
1 cup cole slaw (I just buy the ready made slaw mix)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 TABLESPOON SOY SAUCE
1 TABLESPOON sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon fish sauce
2 TABLESPOON chinese BBQ CHAR SIU powder
1/4 teaspoon crack black pepper
5 eggs
olive oil
2 green scallion (onion) stalk---chopped

DIRECTION: 

I tried to prep everything the night before to make cooking the fried rice in the morning fast and easy.

In a bowl I mix in the  peel/cut shrimp, chopped onions, CHAR SIU powder, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, fish sauce and refrigerate over night. You don't have to do this but I am preparing everything so that all I have to do is throw it in the WOK in the morning.

I cook the rice then once it cools down...I put it in a container and refrigerate that overnight also.

COOKING DIRECTION: 
Lay out all your ingredients and seasoning within reach.  I crack the 5 eggs into a bowl...you don't have to scramble them unless you want to. I usually just scramble them as I cook.
I lay out the shrimp mixture that I season already. The day old rice that I cooked in chicken stock the night before. The slaw mixture. If you are using any other veggies like frozen corn/peas/carrot ...make sure you drain out all the excess water.

In a large wok pour in a little olive oil and pour in the marinated shrimp. You want everything within reach because you have to work fast. Stir the shrimp until its cooked and pink to the look.




Shrimp mixture with chopped onion and seasoning all cooked. Then I moved it to the side and add my cooked rice ....then add in the 2 tablespoon soy sauce and sesame oil.  Once the rice is mix well with the sauces....I stir it for another 1 minute and then toss with the shrimp. Once its incorporated move the rice and shrimp mixture to the side and add a little olive oil and pour in the 5 crack eggs.


       Scramble the eggs until it is light and fluffy.



Once the egg is cooked ....mix it into the rice and shrimp mixture. If some of the shrimp or rice gets into the egg ....its ok...just scramble them into the eggs.



Add in the 1 cup of slaw and toss until the slaw is translucent...it doesn't take to long because the slaw cook every fast. I love using the slaw mixture because it has carrots/cabbage/purple cabbage all included.


Garnish with crack black pepper and chopped green onion.
****SEASON to taste...you might want it more salty so add more fish sauce or salt....depending on your preferences.



Char Siu package....I think they have a few variety but this is the one that I always get. This seasoning has a little sweet taste....its so yummy ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment