Thursday, August 4, 2016

Red Beans and Rice in an Instant Pot

This is my first time to ever use an instant pot...and I have to say "I am in LOVE" 

It's so easy to prep and clean!!! I decided that my first meal that I would prepare in an instant pot would be red beans and rice because it usually takes me over 4 hours on the stove and 8 hours in a crockpot. And to be honest...with this weather in Louisiana...this momma is not standing in front of no stove for 2 hours much less 4!! 

Shopping List: 

1 pound red beans
1 pound of baby pork spareribs (cut into little pieces) 
4 pieces of pig feet 
1 pound pickled pork 
1/2 bell pepper diced 
4 stalks celery chopped 
1 small onion chopped 
3 bay leaf 
1 teaspoon garlic powder 
1 teaspoon onion powder 
1/2 teaspoon Tony Chacheres (Cajun seasoning) 
1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper 
1/2 teaspoon sugar 
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce 

Pack of spicy sausage (I cook this separately because we don't like our sausage mushy) 

Water 
Tabasco (garlic flavor) 
White rice 
1 stick butter 
****CHEATING METHOD: 1 small can of blue runner red beans (I pour that in after everything is cook and when I am mushing the red beans against the side of the pot. 

Garnish
Parsley 
Green onion chopped 

Direction: 
In a little pot I filled it up with water and place my cut spareribs and pig feet in and blanch over to get all the gunk out. Once the pot start boiling I blanch through. Next,  I wash it with just regular tap water and then I place it on top of the red beans that is already in the instant pot. 

*** I pour my bag of red beans on the bottom. Then the blanch meat. Then the pickle pork. Next, I lay all my veggies in top. Cover with just enough water to cover everything. Next I pour all my seasoning on top. 

Close the lid and turn on to the "beans/chilli" setting but I adjust the time to 1 hour. 

Next, I pour in a small can of blue runner red beans into my pot. Taking a small spoon or ladle...I smooch the beans against the pot to make it more creamy. Then I add 1 stick of unsalted butter into the hot red beans. 


Season according to taste. I used a pickle pork so I didn't need to add that much salt or Tony Chacheres 



                 Ready to be turned on 





I added the cubed ham..right before serving because my husband likes the ham intact and not all cook down. 
Season with more Tabasco (because we love spicy) and garnish with chopped parsley. 



Spicy Sausage cooked separately          in a little frying pan 



ENJOY!! 


I think the only thing I would change next time is I might add the ham and butter and then turn it on for another 5-10 minutes so the ham would be a little softer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment